History of Igoumenitsa
The capital of the prefecture, built in the north, in the cove of the Gulf of Igoumenitsa, across from the island of Corfu. The city is surrounded by pine-laden hills and has a wonderful seaside road lined with sycamores and a park. It was liberated in 1913, during the 1st Balkan War. Before it became the prefecture’s capital, Igoumenitsa was a small seaside village with 500 residents. During World War II, the city was completely destroyed and rebuilt from scratch in the same location.