You are here :: Go-Ferry » Kithnos » History »


History

Although Kithnos (or Thermia, due to its thermal spas) is one of the closest to Attica islands of the Cyclades complex, it still remains one of the most unexplored corners of Aegean Sea. In the north is the island port Merichas, its capital Chora, Loutra and Driopida. The southern part of Kithnos is uninhabited, with an exception of the area of Panagia Kanala and the small gulf of Aghios Dimitrios. The island has 65 wonderful sandy beaches (most of them are at the end of pathways) and a landscape particular for Cyclades with bare and dry hills, continuous rock fences. On the whole territory of the island there are 350 white country chapels, while the villages are full of paved streets, white houses, squares, churches and wind mills.
It was inhabited in the 10th century by Driopes who came from Evia. It flourished during the Classical period and participated with a trireme boat in the naval battle of Salamina. The island has the same history pattern with the other islands of the Cyclades complex: in 1204 it was under Venetian occupation and afterwards under Turkish occupation. In 1830 was annexed to the newly-established Greek State. The island extends over a surface of 99 km2, its coastline is 111 km long and it has 1,600 inhabitants.
 Website: www.kythnos.gr

/faq.html
/16-people-en.html
/why-goferry.html
Copyright © 2010 goferry.gr® | All rights reserved Powered by: Protostep Ltd.
Web Development & Web Design by webprofile