What to see in Poros
The town of Poros
The town of Poros, the capital and the port of the island, is built amphitheatrically, opposite to the coast of Troizene. Its scenic lanes, Neorio and the Bourtzi islet compose a beautiful picture in the center of the island. There are many beautiful examples of neoclassical buildings. The most outstanding ones are the Deimezis building, built with grey and red stones and Grivas’ shop (magazi tou Griva) with big doors and beautiful internal decoration. Villa Galini (in Aspros Gatos), built in 1892, is one of the most beautiful buildings of the island and has offered hospitality to eminent artists of the time.
The historic clock of Poros, a trademark of the island which is on the highest top of the hill among prickly pears and pine trees. From here the view to the port, opposite coasts and Lemonodasos is amazing. The clock is visible from everywhere giving a final touch to the town’s decoration.
The Archeological Museum in Korizi square, where you can see findings dated back to the Mycenaean era until the Romaic era. These findings come from the excavation in the temple of Apollo in ancient Trizina, the royal tombs of Magoula and Apatheia in Modi and in Aghios Konstantinos Methanon.
Bourtzi, the small castle that was built in 1827 for the protection of the port. It is located in the bay of Moni, near the coast of the Peloponnese and anyone can visit it by swimming. Nowadays it is uninhabited.
The first Navy yard of Greece (1830)
The cathedral of Aghios Georgios, renowned for the magnificent religious icons made by Konstantinos Parthenis.
The preserved monument of Ernst Chiler, housing the conference room of the Municipality of Poros. This neoclassical building was restored in 2002 with addition of particular elements. Today, it hosts events organized by the municipality.
The Chatzopoulos Municipal Library, with a lending department and a projection hall.
The ruins of the Russian naval yard, 5 km NW of the city. In 1834, some warehouses and bakeries were built there in order to supply the Russian fleet that sailed in the Aegean sea. Russians preserved the buildings until 1900.
Palatia (5,5 km NE), where there are still ruins of the temple of Poseidon (520 B.C). The main body of the temple was of Dorian order, a rectangular cloistered temple with six and twelve columns on each side. The foundation ditch of this archaic temple, the galleries of the marketplace as well as the parliament still survive.
Swimming at Mikro and Megalo Neorio (small and great dock yard) as well as the Limanaki tis Agapis (Harbour of Love).
Sailing around the islands and along the coasts of Peloponnese.
The “Naval Week” with art events and exhibitions of naval interest.