The Dodecanese Islands in Greece are a group of 15 larger and 150 smaller islands located in the southeastern Aegean Sea. These islands are known for their rich history, stunning beaches and beautiful landscapes. In the following lines, we will provide you with all the information you need to know about the ferry to Dodecanese Islands.
The Dodecanese Islands have a rich history that dates back to ancient times. These islands were originally inhabited by the Minoans, who were followed by the Mycenaeans. Later on, the islands were ruled by the Persians, the Romans, and the Byzantines.
In 1309, the Knights of St. John took control of the islands and built many fortresses and castles. The Ottoman Empire conquered the islands in 1522 and ruled them until 1912 when they were taken over by Italy. The islands were finally reunited with Greece in 1947.
The Dodecanese Islands are known for their beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters, and stunning landscapes. Some of the most popular attractions on these islands include:
- Rhodes: This is the largest island in the Dodecanese group and is home to many historical sites, including the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes and the Acropolis of Lindos
- Kos: This island is known for its beautiful beaches, crystal clear waters, and ancient ruins, including the Asklepion, an ancient medical center
- Patmos: This island is famous for its religious significance as it is believed that St. John wrote the Book of Revelation here
- Symi: This island is known for its colorful neoclassical houses and stunning beaches
- Kalymnos: This island is known for its rock climbing opportunities and beautiful beaches
- Leros: This island is known for its beautiful bays and beaches, as well as its medieval castle
- Kastelorizo: This small island is known for its picturesque harbor and colorful houses
The cuisine of the Dodecanese Islands is influenced by Greek and Turkish cuisine. Some of the most popular dishes on these islands include:
- Meze: This is a selection of small dishes that are served as appetizers
- Seafood: The islands are known for their fresh seafood, including octopus, squid, and fish
- Pitaroudia: These are chickpea fritters that are flavored with herbs and spices
- Fava: This is a dish made from yellow split peas that are cooked with onions and garlic
- Souvlaki: This is a popular Greek dish that consists of grilled meat on a skewer
- Baklava: This is a sweet pastry made from layers of filo pastry, chopped nuts, and honey syrup
The Dodecanese Islands in Greece are a beautiful destination that offers something for everyone. Whether you are interested in history, beaches, or food, these islands have it all. We hope this blog post has provided you with all the information you need to plan your next trip to the Dodecanese Islands.