History of Aegina
According to the Mythology, the island was named after one of God Asopo's daughters, a nymph called Aegina. The island has been inhabited since the Neolithic period, while the colonization of the island continued with the Achaeans of the Peloponnese during the Copper age. Aegina reached its peak of prosperity after the 6th century B.C., when the inhabitants developed great commercial and maritime activities, established colonies and were the first to coin their money. In 456 B.C. Aegina was occupied by the Athenians and then by the Spartans, Thebeans, Macedonians and Romans.
Continuous pirate raids resulted in the establishment of Palaiochora on a steep hill, a town that was destroyed in 1537 by Pirate Barbarossa. It was then that the inhabitants of the island returned to the port. In 1826, the Administrative Commission of Greek Government had taken shelter in the castle of Bourtzi in Nafplio, under the pressure of military servicemen. In November 1826, the members of the Commission moved to Aegina. In August 1826, the Governor-Lieutenancy Commission arrived in Aegina as well, while six months later Ioannis Kapodistrias took the Governor's oath on the island.
When touring in the town of Aegina, you will encounter many buildings associated with that period. The island of Aegina is located 17 n.m. away from Piraeus and extends over 101 km2. The total length of its coastline is 37.5 km and it has 14,000 inhabitants.