What to See in Evia (Euboea)
Tour in the city of Vasiliko
Vasiliko is located 8 km SE of Chalkida. The settlement is in the historic Lilantio Pedio (Plain of Lilantio), which according to Greek writer K. Palamas is the most "fruitful plain” of Evia at present. The old square, the manor houses, the Frankish tower and the church of Panaghia (Holy Mother) are worth visiting. The coastal settlement of Lefkantio is located 2 km away from Vasiliko. In the Plain of Lilantio, to the NE of Vasiliko, you will find the settlement of Fylla with the Venetian Castle of Likari (Kastelli, 13th -15th centuries) as well as Andreas Miaoulis' house behind the sanctuary of the church of Panaghia. The two identical Frankish towers in the village of Mytikas (3 km NW) are also worth a visit.
Tour in the city of Limni Evias
Limni Evias is a small coastal town, beautiful all year long. Its architecture and town planning remind us of an island settlement. Limni Evias is located 80 km NW of Chalkida.
The church of Genisis tis Theotokou (Virgin Mary’s Heavenly Birth) in the entrance of the town. It is a three-aisled basilica built in 1837 with a remarkable marble belfry built in 1879 by Mastroloukas, a sculptor from Tinos island.
The church of Zoodoxos Pigi (Life giving font of Virgin Mary) and the ruins of a basilica dating back to the Early Christian period and built on Roman spas.
The Historical Archive (including documents from 1732) housed in the Town Hall.
The buildings of the Police Station and Public Financial Service, designed by Chiler.
The manor house of Angelis Flokos housing the Folklore and History Museum, where among other things local archaeological findings are also exposed.
The hermitage of Aghios Christodoulos (12th century) at the west end of the settlement near the beach.
The historic female monastery of Aghios Nikolaos (7th - 8th century), commonly known as Moni Galataki, located 10 km SE. It is known as the Galataki Monastery. On the SE side is the ascetic shelter of Aghios Andreas. It is a small single-room arched building, built in a natural cave.
The Museum of Hydrobiology, on the road to the Monastery, including fossilized exhibits coming from the seabed, shells and fish from Greek and foreign seas.
“Elymnia”: cultural events organized in Limni and the surrounding villages from mid-July until August 15th.
Festivities and treasure hunting during the Carnival
Fair of Panaghia Limnia on September 7th - 8th.
Tour in the city of Psahna
Psahna is located 16 km to the north of Chalkida. The town is built on a lush green landscape near the sea and has many listed buildings. Your sightseeing tour in Psahna should include the stone-built church of Metaforfosi (Transfiguration) as well as the Monasteries of Panaghia (Holy Mother) of Makrymalli (13th - 15th centuries) and Osios Ioannis Kalybitis (9th-12th centuries). The villages of Makrykapa, Palioura, Attali, Aghios Athanasios and Triada (where you can see the tower of Nikolaos Kreziotis, Greek military commander) are also worth visiting. The Messapios River flows through the fertile plain.
Tour in the city of Aliveri
Built on a hill, in the shape of an amphitheater and near the sea, Aliveri is an industrial town of Evia with rich lignite deposits. It was the center of rebellion in South Evia during the first part of the 1821 Revolution. Karavos is the seaport of Aliveri as well as the tourist area of the region. The industrial zone and the thermoelectric power plant of the Public Power Corporation are located NE of the village. Finally, Alivery is located 48.5 km SE of Chalkida.
The small arched-roof church of Koimisi tis Theotokou (Panaghitsa), which dates back to 14th century, built on a rock in the center of Aliveri.
The frescos of Aghios Nikolaos, in the precinct of the Cathedral of Aghios Georgios on top of the hill.
The Mycenaean tomb discovered in the area of Katakalou.
The red church of Aghios Dimitrios (in the same region), built with red stones and columns, where you can see early Byzantine frescos.
The Neolithic settlement in Dystos.
The ruins of Roman spas in Karavos.
The scenic lush green village of Aghios Ioannis which is located 6km NW of Aliveri. On its west side flows the tributary of Pertheniatiko.
Rizokastro in Milaki, located 5 km SE of Aliveri, one of the oldest fortresses dating back to the Frankish rule, with its water tanks, warehouses, barracks and a tower.
The hydro-habitat of the lake of Dystos, after Milaki and Prasino. The habitat offers shelter to a great variety of aquatic birds. On a small hill next to the lake, you will have the opportunity to observe the seraglios, buildings dating back to the Ottoman rule.
The islet of Kamila, in the southeastern part of the Aghioi Apostoloi bay (on the side of the Aegean Sea).
Swimming at the beaches of Nireas, Karavos, Kalami, Pontikou and Kambos, all the beaches of Southern Evia bay as well as the magnificent beaches of coastal villages Aghioi Apostoloi and Petries (Limionas, Stomio, Cheromylos, Liani Ammos) on Aegean Sea.
Three-day feast of Aghios Ioannis, from August 27th to 29th.
Tour in the city of Prokopi
The Kireas river flows through the fertile valley with plane tree forest (the region reminds us of Tembi in Thessaly). The village of Prokopi, mainly known for the church of Aghios Ioannis Rossos that is very popular with pilgrims, is located in the valley. Prokopi is located 49.5 km to the north of Chalkida.
The church of Aghios Ioannis Rossos. The shrine was brought here by refugees arriving from Cappadocia and nowadays it is kept in this monastery built in a lush green area. Lots of pilgrims visit the monastery every day, while on May 27th , there are celebrations for the Saint's Feast.
The Baker Manor House
The village of Dafnoussa (5 km W) and the nearby medieval tower.
The magnificent route to Pili and Vlachia located 13 and 27 km to the east respectively.
The gigantic old plane tree in the road to Mantoudi next to Kireas’s riverbank ("Paraskevorama”).
The Frankish castle of Kleisoura (13th -15th century)
Swimming at the beaches of Mantoudi
Tour in the city of Avlonari
A beautiful village built in the shape of an amphitheater with traditional stone houses, where the visitor can see the skills and artistry of the craftsmen of Epirus. Avlonary is located 68.5 km east of the town of Chalkida.
The Cultural Center of "Ioannis Ar. Tzemis”. Tzemis”.
The Venetian tower in the center of the village.
The Chania of Avlonari. - The settlement Chania Avlonariou, where you will have the opportunity to observe the hagiographies of Aghios Dimitrios Monastery. You will also see the imposing century old plane tree out of the monastery.
The stone arched bridges, near Aghios Georgios.
The female monastery of Aghios Charalambos of Leukon (Middle Byzantine period).
The Folklore Collection in the village of Orio.
The church of Aghia Thekla around 2 km W, in the homonym settlement. The church has some impressive wall paintings (13th-15th century).
Oktonia or Ochthonia, 5km NE, with running waters and rich vegetation. Here, you can visit the Byzantine monastery of Aghios Dimitrios Kataraktou.
The village Vrisi, 10km NW, in a location full of plane and chestnut trees. The old watermill outside the village which still works and Kolethra spring which comes out from underneath a rock are worth a visit.
Swimming at Mourteri, Korasida and Kalamos.
Three-day feast of Aghios Ioannis Prodromos (St. John the Baptist) on August 29th.
Tour in the city of Mantoudi
Mantoudi is a beautiful region with plane trees and lots of running waters. Walk around the main square and the alleys with old and modern houses. Once, there were metal factories here and magnesite was extracted. Mantoudi is situated 58.5 km NW of Chalkida.
The church of Aghios Ioannis Theologos.
Τhe local library
Τhe villages Kirinthos and Strofylia situated at 4 and 8 km NW respectively. In Kirinthos you will see the residencies of Zaimis and Averof families, whereas in the latter there is a remarkable stone-built church of Aghia Τriada (Holy Trinity).
The remains of ancient Kirinthos on the beach of Peleki.
Kalyvia (14 km SW) with a spring and a plane tree which is over a hundred years old.
Swimming at the beaches of Kymasi, Amitsa, Palaios Dafnopotamos and Dafnopotamos on the Aegean Sea.
Fair of Aghios Ioannis Theologou on September 26th , lasting 8 days.
Festivities during the Carnival.
Cultural events organized by the Municipal authorities during the summer.
Tour in the city of Karystos
Karisthos is a picturesque town and port, with many squares and a functional street planning which was designed by city planners of king Othonas. It is known from ancient times for its famous Karistos slabs, slate rocks of the area. The village is located 124 km SE of the town of Chalkida.
The ancient marble quarries in Kylindroi after Myloi.
The restored Venetian tower (Bourtzi) on the beach to the east side of the town. The tower was built in 13th century.
The ruins of a Venetian castle (Castello Rosso, 13th - 15th century) which is situated further from the small forest.
The imposing Town Hall.
The Giokaleio Foundation housing the Archaeological Museum with exposition of important findings from the region.
The Cathedral of Aghios Nikolaos.
The mausoleum of a Roman official surrounded by a peristyle.
The Monastery of Aghia Mavra, which follows the old calendar.
The Monastery of Taxiarches (Archangels) in Kalyvia dating back to 9th -12th century and the one of Aghios Georgios in Methochi.
The mountain Ochi, on top of which stands one of the renowned “drakospita”. It is a megalithic construction dating back to the 6th to 2nd century B.C.
The mountain settlements of Ochi (Kalyvia, Aghios Dimitrios, Pothi, Giannitsi).
The village of Platanistos (18 km SE), where you can see a defensive wall of the Hellenistic period.
The lush green landscape of Aghia Triada.
The village of Palaiochora, where there was a cemetery dating back to the Hellenistic period.
The picturesque villages of Kavo Doro, Amygdalia, Drymonari, Prinia, etc.
The gorge of Dimosari, which begins from the source of the Dimosaris River near the Myli and ends on the beach of Kolianou 10 km further.
Swimming at the beach of Karystos, as well as Livadaki, Plaiopithara, Mnimata, Aghia Paraskevi, Psili Ammos, Kavos, Bouros, Bathy Avlaki, Aghioi, Kalami, Kioni, Platys Gialos and Livadi.
Cultural events are organized during the summer.
The Wine Festival from late August until early September.
Tour in the city of Kymi
Kymi is called “balcony to the Aegean sea” because of the magnificent view it offers. At the same time it has one of the biggest artificial ports of the country providing ferry connection with Skyros. Kymi is the homeland of prominent physician Georgios Papanikolaou (1883-1962), who invented a method for diagnosing the cancer of the uterus, commonly known as the "Pap test”. You will have the opportunity to observe the typical residences, examples of the local architectural tradition (mainly neoclassic residences of Captains) with details such as elaborate railing patterns on balconies, brackets and owner inscriptions, while walking around the traditional settlement. Kymi is located 87 km NE of Chalkida.
The ancient city ruins near the modern settlement.
The Aghios Athanasios square with stone houses and paved alleys.
The church of Panaghia Liaoutsanissa, which dates back to 1849. The chancel and the pulpit of this church are created by the father of well-known sculptor from Tinos, G. Chapela.
The Monastery of Aghios Panteleimon at the eastern end of the town.
The Folklore Museum housing a collection of local traditional objects.
The location of Choneutiko, a lush region situated 2 km NW and named after the spring drinkable water with therapeutic and digestive qualities.
The female monastery of the Metamorfosi (Transfiguration) (17th century) located 5 km to the north and offering a magnificent view.
The particular road connecting Paralia to Kymi, marked out in the middle of 19th century, about 4 km long with 52 bends in total, which was recently integrated in the official Greek Rally Championship as an ascent.
Swimming at Soutsini, Chili, Platana and the small harbours until the beach of Stomio.
Squid fishing in August
Chalkida, the capital of Evia, has 53,000 inhabitants and is built at the narrowest point of the strait of Evripos, and is a transport interchange as well as the administrative, commercial, industrial and cultural center for the wider region. As it has been proved, Chalkida's history begins during the 3rd millennium B.C. in the region of Manika. The excavations revealed a town with a fairly large population that was very prosperous during the Classical, Hellenistic and Roman period. Chalkida was conquered successively by Athenians, Macedonians, Romans, Byzantines, Franks and Venetians. It came under Turkish rule in 1470 and was liberated along with the rest of Evia in 1830. Chalkida was the homeland of rhetor Isaios and poet Lykofronas, and Aristotle died in this town. In addition to this, prominent personalities of art and literature of the modern history, such as musician Nikos Skalkotas, writer Yannis Skaribas, painter Dimitris Mytaras as well as actors Orestis Makris and Elli Lambeti come from Chalkida. Chalkida is located 80 km north of Athens and 470 km to the SE of Thessaloniki.
Archaeological Museum: 22210-25.131
Folklore Museum: 22210-21.817
Municipal Art Gallery: 22210-22031Website for the town of Chalkida: www.chalkida.gr
Drakospita (dragon houses) of Stira
Drakospita are “Cyclopean" constructions and are located in south Evia and particularly in the Municipality of Stira. They are built in steep areas and they are massive and imposing constructions that intrigue visitors’ curiosity. Nobody knows when they were built and for what reason. The most known and well preserved Drakospito is the one of Ochi and has been characterized by the scientists as an ancient temple where god Zeus and goddess Hera were worshiped.
Ancient Theater of Eretria
The theater is located close to Eretria settlement. From a structural and morphological point of view it has many similarities with the theater of Dionysus in Athens. According to descriptions of Ministry of Culture “It is one of the most known ancient monuments of its kind. According to evidence from architectural ruins of the stage it must have been built during the 5th century when the city was reconstructed after the Persian destruction. Its flourishing period was in the 4th century B.C.”.
Steni Forest in Evia
The Aesthetic Forest of Stenis lies on the southern slope of Mount Dirfys. This mountainous area is characterized by varied slopes, ranging from small to steep ones. The soil’s native rocks are comprised of crystalline schist, shale, and individual outcrops of limestone of the Permian, Upper Triadic and Jurassic Period. The existence of numerous springs, small streams and gorges crossing the forest area is also noteworthy. The main tree species are the Pinus halepensis, Castanea sativa, Abies cephalonica (at higher altitudes), Quercus sp., and Platanus orientalis.
The area attracts particular aesthetic and ecological interest due to its combination of floral diversity, geomorpholoy and hydrological features. In this area there are several representative types of natural habitat which host numerous endemic species either at a local or national level. Emphasis should also be placed on the presence of endemic species of vertebrates and invertebrates which are endangered although their populations have not been yet accurately established. Several of these species have limited proliferation.
Evia island has several interesting caves. Some of the most famous are:
Karistos: AGHIA TRIADA CAVE where scientists found remains of Neolithic settlement.
Aedipsos-Loutra Aedipsou: SILLAS CAVE located close to Aghii Anargiri springs where Sillas tried to heal his arthritic "gout".
Lichada-Aghios Georgios THE CAVE located in “Pasogourni” area on Profitis Ilias hill and which has not been explored yet.