History of Psara
Although small in extent (42 km) Psara is birthplace of many sailors with significant national role during the 1821 Revolution (famed brulotiers (fire shipmen) were Kanaris, Vourekas, Vratsanoi and others). This island was the third in power maritime force in Greece after Hydra and Spetses. In 1824 the Turks conquered the island slaughtering its inhabitants and looting houses and churches. The tragedy of Psara was rhapsodized by Greek national poet Dionyssios Solomos and became a painting by famous French painter Eugene Delacroix. The deserted island was liberated by Greek navy in 1912. It is 44 n.m. NW to Chios with which it is connected by ferry (from the city and from Volissos). Also, there is a ferry connection from Piraeus and Rafina ports (Attica).
Psara is the sole settlement of the island with approximately 400 inhabitants. It has low houses with a mixed architectural style and develops around the port.
Koimisis tis Theotokou monastery, which is located on the northern part of the island, on Profitis Ilias peak and has a remarkable library.
Palaiokastro, which was built by settlers (Thessalians, Evians and Chians) in the 15th century out of fear of the pirates. Here a lighthouse shines on the busy passage between Chios and Psara.