History of Samothraki
During the ancient times Samothrace was known as the “Island of Great Gods”. Renowned for the celebration of the sacraments of Great Gods as well as for the famous statue “Niki tis Samothrakis" (The Winged Victory of Samothrace), the northeastern island of the Aegean Sea has been gifted with a wild scenery, wonderful landscapes and a great archaeological wealth. The imposing mountain of Saos (1,611 m high), the lagoon of Aghios Andreas, springs, waterfalls, small lakes and plane tree forests compose the natural landscape of Samothrace. Moreover, the traditional settlements (Chora being the most important), thermal springs, medieval monuments and, of course, the renowned archaeological site of Palaiopoli attract many visitors. The island extends over a surface of 184 km2, its coastline is 58 km long and it has 3,000 inhabitants. Samothrace is accessible by boat from Lavrio, Kavala and Alexandroupoli or by plane from "Eleftherios Venizelos" Athens Airport.
The first inhabitants of Samothrace were the Carians and then the Thracians, who according to the archaeological findings settled in the area during the late Neolithic era and the Copper era. During the Roman occupation Samothrace was considered a sacred island. In the following centuries Samothrace was occupied by the Gatelouzoi, the Venetians and the Turks, who destroyed it in September 1821. Finally, Samothrace was liberated in October 1912.