You are here :: Go-Ferry » Agathonisi » History »


History

This is the most north island of Dodecanese complex. Agathonisi has three settlements (  Aghios Georgios, Megalo and Mikro Chorio), which are famous for their traditional architecture and the houses with beautiful gardens.  The island extends over a surface of 14 km2, its coastline is 32 km long and it has 200 inhabitants. Agathonisi has a really important and sensitive ecosystem and along with its neighboring islands, makes part of Natura protected areas, as a valuable shelter of rare birds. It can be reached by ferry from Patmos, Leros, Leipsoi, Samos and Chios islands.

The island was originally called Tragea or Netousa, and got its current name by a priest in the beginning of last century. The word "agathos" means good or gullible, and a common translation is "Island of the Fools" or "Island of the good-hearted".
Agathonisi lies only ten km away from the Turkish coast, and this has had consequences for the tiny island through history. Originally a place for exiles during Roman and Byzantine times and constantly attacked by pirates, Agathonisi did not have a proper community until the 19th century.
By then, it had been under Turkish rule since the 16th century, but the Turks never actually lived on the island.
In 1922 Agathonisi was occupied by Italian troops and was not liberated until after the second World War. In the 1980's, the island finally got electricity and telephone lines

/faq.html
/16-people-en.html
/why-goferry.html
Copyright © 2010 goferry.gr® | All rights reserved Powered by: Protostep Ltd.
Web Development & Web Design by webprofile