What to see in Amorgos
A walk through the city will allow you to see from close its main sightsDo not forget to visit:
- The Castle built in the 13th century by Ieremia Gizi on top of a rock, on the highest point of Chora. Parts of the wall with embrasures are still preserved. In its entrance is Aghios Georgios chapel and in a nearby area you can see Kera Leousa church.
- Aghios Fanourios church. It is the smallest church in Greece with capacity of three people.
- Kera-Deousi Byzantine church right below the castle
- Dimarxeio (or City Hall) square
- Panagia church (Metropolitan) in honor of Koimisi tis Theotokou (or The Assuption of the Virgin Mary) and Aghios Ioannis Theologos church
- Aghios Thomas, Aghios Thaleleos and Stavrou (or the Holly Cross) post Byzantine churches
- The “twin” churches of Metamorfosi and of Aghios Stefanos dependency of Panagia Chozoviotissa monastery. You can also see Zoodochos Pigi, Treis Ierarches and Agioi Pantes churches.
- Gavras Tower, built probably in the 16th century. It is a beautiful mansion of Venetian style, housing the Archeological Collection.
- Gymnasium building (1829). It is the first Gymnasium established in Greece (donation of Panagia Chozoviotissa monastery) after the 1821 War of Independence.
- Kato Lakkos medieval water-tank
- The windmills
- Ruins of Hellenistic towers in “Terlaki” and “Richti” areas
- Panagia Chozoviotissa Byzantine Monastery, located 2.5 km NE.
- This unique creation of Aegean architectural style dominates above the sea on an imposing slope at an altitude of 300 m. According to some people it was built in 1088 by Alexios Komninos the 1st when Panagia icon, which was sent by a woman from the Palestinian Chozovo during the Iconoclast period, reached the island in a miraculous way. Others say that the Monastery was built in the 9th century by Palestinian monks and was afterwards restored by emperor Alexios the 1st. The Monastery’s vestry includes Panagia icon (it is considered to be work of evangelist Loukas who is honored on November 21st) and other church relics.
- Prophet Ilias chapel built above Panagia Chozoviotissa monastery
- Aghios Georgios Valsamitis church located 4.5 km SW
- The ruins of Venetian tower located above Aghios Georgios church.
Activities in the Island of Amorgos
- Horse riding
- Hiking (there are many signaled pathways in the island. Amorgos is considered to be one of the most organized Cycladic islands for trekking).
- Swimming in Aghia Anna, Aigialis bay, Levrosos, Psili Ammos, Chochlakas, Chalara, Kalotaritissa, Mouros, Mavri Miti as well as in Ammoudi, Kato Akrotiri, Kato Kampo, Megalo Roukouna, Afhios Panteleimonas, Martezi, Plakes and Nikouria.
- Visiting nearby islands. Anidros island (Amorgopoula) is located SW of Amorgos. A little further from Aigialis bay is Nikouria Island (at an altitude of 365m) with Panagia Nikouriani church and ancient settlement ruins. Atimo Island is located SW of Nikouria. Opposite Kalotaritissa bay you can see Psalida and Gramvousa with its beautiful beach. Opposite Tourlida cape (Troulli) is Petalida Island. Below Chozoviotissa Monastery and not far from the beaches you can see Mikro and Megalo Viokastro islets.