History of Brindisi
The province of Brindisi is an integral part of the Salento peninsula and marks the transition between the Land of Bari and the Plateau of Lecce. The hinterland has always been influenced by the development of the main city and its maritime trade. The port of Brindisi played an important role already at during the Roman Empire because of its relations to the East. That natural harbour was almost a necessary stop for Romans, Crusaders and Venetian merchants. At the end of the 1800s the company “Valigia delle Indie” selected Brindisi for its maritime railway connections to the East and today Brindisi remains the best port in terms of the relations of Italy to Greece. Many tourist resorts are available along the coast, but mention must be made of the protected area of Torre Guaceto, particularly for those who love being in touch with nature.
Brindisi is in the Salento plains and on the Adriatic sea, with a natural harbourjutting into the land and whose deer-like shape determined the name of the town. The town, once the main base of theMessapian civilization, always conflicted with neigbouring Taranto and was conquered by the Romans in 267 b.c. Connected to the capital of the Empire byvia Appia and via Traiana, it was an extremely important trading centre and episcopal base as from the start of the apostolic age. Conquered by the Goths and then ruled by Byzantium, the town wasdestroyed by the Lombards in 674 and its Guaceto Tower became a Saracen base. Brindisi then shared the fate of all towns in the Region and was ruled by Byzantines, Normans, Swabians, Angevins and Aragons. Its port was conquered by the Venetian marine Republic and then subjected to the rule of Naples. Its period of greatest glory was at the time of the Unification of Italy, and for five months in the following century, between 1943 and 1944, when Brindisi even played a role as capital of Italy.