What to See in Chalki
Sights worth visiting
The imposing stone tower of the clock, in front of the neoclassic Town Hall.
The temple of patron saint Aghios Nikolaos [Saint Nicolas] (1861) bearing the tallest bell-tower of Dodecanese and a beautiful black and white pebbled mosaic in its surroundings.
Chorio (2.5 km W) was the former capital of the island, but it was officially deserted during the 60’s. The small stone-made houses are made of ancient materials, beneath the castle of Saint John’s Knights, upon a location with a marvelous view. It’s also worth visiting Panaghia built in the 16th century.
The monastery of Taxiarxis Michael (5 km NW) housing a beautiful icon of the saint, as well as the monastery of Ai-Giannis Alarga, with the huge cypress in the west end of Chalki.
Kameno Spilio, in the location «Amiglai», in the NW side of the island.
THE CAVE IN THE AREA OF KELIA (access to it takes a 20-min boat trip), which has housed anchorites in the past, features religious paintings on its rocks.
THE CAVE OF KAMENOS SPILIOS (the burned cave) is situated in Amiglay, on a steep rock, 8 km from Nimborio. In 1658, the Venetian Admiral Francesco Morosini eliminated the inhabitants who were hiding inside, when he blocked the cave entrance with wood from the nearby almond trees and set it a fire. In this manner, Morosini wreaked vengeance on the people of Khalki who had foiled his plan to take over the island of Rhodes by sending word to the Rhodians.