Ferry to Crete
GETTING TO CRETE BY FERRY
Passenger ferry ports on Crete
Passenger ferries running from Greece to the Cretian ports of Heraklion, Chania (Souda), Kastelli (Kissamos), and Sitia.
Getting to Crete by ferry is one of the best ways to experience your vacation in Greece this is because you will get to witness some of the great scenery when you are also traveling.
In the chapters below, we'll try to give you the necessary information on how to get to Crete.
From where you can get an overnight Ferry to Crete
- From Piraeus to Heraklion: Approx. duration 6,30-9,00 hours (depending on ferry type)
- From Piraeus to Chania: Approx. duration 6,30-9,00 hours (depending on ferry type)
- From Athens/Piraeus to Sitia (via other Cyclades islands): Approx. duration 19 hours
- From Gythion port to Kastelli/Kissamos: Approx. duration 7,00 hours
From where you get a day ferry
- From Athens/Piraeus to Chania: Approx. duration 6,30 hours. Take the ferry from Piraeus at 16:00 and arrive in Chania/Souda port at 22:30
- From Santorini to Heraklion or Chania: Approx. duration 1,30-2,00 hours with high-speed ferry
- From Mykonos to Heraklion: Approx. duration 5,00-5,30 hours with high-speed ferry
- From Naxos to Heraklion: Approx. duration 3,30 hours with high-speed ferry
- From Paros to Heraklion: Approx. duration 4 hours with high-speed ferry
- From Ios to Heraklion: Approx. duration 3 hours with high-speed ferry
Give a departure port and a date and find all possible ferry connections!
Note: Each year and depending on the period, there may be more or fewer connections to or from Crete. The biggest shipping companies (ferry operators) announce the new ferry schedules by the end of December and the rest of them by January-March each year!
SCHEDULES, PRICES AND AVAILABILITY TO/FROM CRETE BY FERRY
Book your ferry to Crete with any ferry company that suits you better and enjoy your ferry travel in Greece! The “Easy-Way” booking system of go-Ferry.com, allows the most reliable online ferry reservations and offers cheaper, faster and better services for your ticket to or from Crete.
With go-Ferry.com you are able to connect online with the reservation systems of the most Greek shipping companies, to compare prices, to find information about routes and vessels, to look for alternative routes and to print instantly your Crete ferry confirmation.
Ferry timetables may change by season, so take an optical canvassing via our search engine to receive the latest cull of dates, schedules, prices and availability. With so many accommodation options to cull from, you can be sure to find the best deal at a price that fit your budget.
Complete the under bellow fields and click on SHOW to compare the prices of all ferry companies!
BOOK IN ADVANCE YOUR FERRY TICKET
Arrange your journey to Crete in advance
It is very important that you have organized your ferry to or from Crete in advance, having arranged all the details. You don't want something to go wrong, and you can achieve perfect holidays with a great organization. In addition to hotel accommodation and air-tickets, when you book the boat tickets to or from Crete you know that everything is under control even before leaving home.
There are many reasons why you should arrange to book in advance your ferry ticket. Here are some of the most important:
Pay for Hotel in Crete without using it!
During the high season in Greece, and especially in July and August, it is likely that you won't find ferry tickets to popular islands, such as Crete if you don't book them in advance. So, don't make the mistake to book your hotel on Crete without having booked the ferry pass to/from Crete. The last thing you want is to get to the port and not find an available ferry to or from Crete!
Save time in Crete!
Although we charge a commission for acquiring ferry bookings, this allows you not only to secure your tickets but also to save time in Greece; besides receiving a service and attention of first.
Have a bigger choice of ferry tickets!
Buying in advance gives you a better chance of getting the ferry tickets, on the ferry you prefer and at the schedule you want. It does not make sense that your trip to Crete is interrupted by not finding available ferry departures, but it is possible.
Find more Crete ferry routes!
If you want to organize your trip to or from Crete, it is wise to check all the possible routes and timelines in order to make the right combinations between Crete and the islands as well as between the air and the ferry tickets. Online, you can have an overview of all the routes going to Crete.
Get the best deal!
Ferry tickets to/from Crete can be expensive, so it’s natural to want to get the best deal on them. It has become a regular practice for ferries to announce special rates and deep discounts for booking tickets to or from Crete up to 3-6 months in advance.
Feeling Great having Crete ferry ticket in your pocket!
You will feel a great feeling when having the ferry confirmation to or from Crete in your hands. The reservation with us will allow you to secure your tickets to or from Crete, you will be relieved to have the confirmation in your hands or on your smartphone!
AVAILABLE ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS
Book your ideal accommodation options on the ferry to Crete and arrive fresh and rested to your destination! Comfortable armchairs, business class comfort seats, outside and inside cabins or economy deck chairs. There is a range of accommodation options to choose for a day or night ride to or from Crete.
PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION SERVICES ON CRETE
Road network on Crete
In Crete, the road network is fairly widespread and reaches every corner of the island. The cities along the north coast of Crete (Agios Nikolaos to Kissamos / Kastelli via Heraklion, Rethymnon and Chania) are connected by a modern motorway which is constantly improving. The speed limit is 100 km per hour. However, extra attention is required on narrow roads in rest of Crete (there are only 1 or 2 lines per direction). Particularly in mountain regions, the roads are winding and can be very narrow. New, wider roads are also constructed to Messara area in southern Heraklion district (Festos, Matala, Timbaki, Kokkinos Pirgos), as well as the Viannos area.
Public Transportation Services on Crete
The only possible transportation is by bus, Crete has no trains! The main bus company (KTEL bus organization) is surprisingly very good and efficient. It is based in Heraklion town with further main bus stations in Agios Nikolaos, Rethymno and Chania.
There is hourly service along the main northern coastal road but much less frequent buses to the inland villages and town on the south coast especially out of season.
Many of the larger resorts have bus ticket offices or booths but if not, or if you join the bus last minute, there will be a conductor on board to take your fare. There is plenty of room in the under-floor lockers for luggage and the conductor will place your bags in there for you.
Public Bus Services on Crete
- The green intercity buses (operated by KTEL Organization) connect Heraklion with the most cities and villages of Crete. The coaches are modern, comfortable and air-conditioned.
- Timetables vary between quiet and busy season, so check your route and timetable, see the link to bus details below. There are luggage storage options in most city bus terminals/stations.
There are 2 Terminals that depart buses to 3 destinations.
- Destination 1 departs from Terminal A: Connect Heraklion with towns and villages on the west and south-west of Crete (Chania, Rethymno and connections to Imbros, Sfakia, Kastelli and other places).
- Destination 2 departs from Terminal A also: Serve the towns and villages on the north coast east of Heraklion (Chersonissos, Archanes, Sitia, Agios Nikolaos, Lassithi Plateau and other places).
- Destination 3 departs from Terminal B: From Heraklion to Anogia, Rogdia, Agia Galini, Mires, Tymbaki, Matala, Phaestos, Gortys, Zaros, Agia Galini and places in between.
Bus Terminal A: opposite the harbor's parking, in Leof. Nearchou Ave (walking distance).
Tel.: +30 2810245019, +30 2810245020, Details
Bus Terminal B: in Chanioporta, 44 Leof. 62 Martiron (to arrive here you may use the urban bus from the harbor by arrival)
Tel.: +30 2810255965, Details
Urban Blue Buses are serving the city of Heraklion from early morning until late evening.
- Urban Lines serve Heraklion city, the airport, the harbor, the archaeological site of Knossos and the nearby suburbs.
Stations: All around the city
- Tel.: +30 2810220795, +30 2810226065, Details
- Bus Terminal / Station: 75 Kidonias and Kelaidi str., near to the old Market of Chania
- Destinations from Chania: Rethymno, Heraklion, Falasarna, Elafonisi, Paleochora, Omalos (Samaria Gorge), Chora Sfakion, Seitan Limania, Botanical Park, Chania airport, Stavros, Kissamos/Kastelli, Kolibari and other smaller villages
- Tel: +30 2821093306, +30 2821093305, +30 2821093052, Details
From Souda port to Chania city: Departures every 20 min.
- Chania to Souda port: Take the urban bus (front of the Main Market). Departures every 20 min.
- Tel.: +30 2821098115, +30 2821093345, Details
- Bus Terminal / Station: Igoumenou Gavriil 1, Rethymno 741 00, near of the sports Hall “Melina Merkouri”, west of the castle/fortress.
- Popular destinations from Rethymno: Chania airport, Chania, Heraklion, Chora Sfakion, Plakias, Agia Galini, Preveli, Arkadi
- Tel.: +30 2831022212, +30 283122659 (same for local buses), Details
- Get the local bus to Kissamos KTEL Station and from there to most Crete destinations.
- Bus terminal / Station in Kissamos: Kampouri str.
- Tel.: +30 2822022035, Details
Note: All above information for Crete was accurate when it was published, but can change without notice.
The lowest end of Greece and Europe. The birthplace of civilization all around the world. The island with consecutive alterations of sceneries attracts visitors and offers a trip to yesterday...
Crete is the crossroad between East and West, Africa and Europe.
Cretians are famous for their hospitality, their love towards country and preservation of customs.
High mountains like Psiloritis, Lefka Ori and Dikti, beautiful beaches washed by the Cretan and the Libyan Sea. Fertile grounds where the famous Cretan citrus fruits are cultivated. The endless olive groves produce the fine Cretan olive oil, while also known is the Cretan wine from the island's vineyards. Everywhere you turn your sight, you will see historic monuments that reveal the island's history.
Administratively, Crete is divided into four prefectures (Chania, Rethymno, Heraklion, Lasithi). All prefectures or if you wish, all towns and villages, are ideal for touring. They all have unseen beauties and important sites to see.
All around Crete you will find luxurious hotel units, apartments and rooms to let, which in combination to the exemplary hospitality of people, create the idyllic conditions for unforgettable holidays. As for entertainment, all you have to know is that music and dancing have a long tradition on the island. In the homeland of "lyre" and "mantinada", you will have the time of your life drinking "raki"!
ONE DAY EXCURSION/CRUISE FROM CRETE
A beautiful ferry excursion to the most romantic island in the world, SANTORINI. Enjoy the most spectacular view of Caldera, the mixed colors of the sea, sky and sun, as well the unique architectural style.
- 1-DAY EXCURSION TO SANTORINI FROM RETHYMNON (2 weekly departures)
- 1-DAY EXCURSION TO SANTORINI FROM HERAKLION (Daily departures)