Are you planning a trip to Greece and wondering how to get from Mykonos to Santorini by ferry? Look no further! In this web page, we will guide you through the process of taking a ferry from Mykonos to Santorini, including the different ferry options available, how to book your tickets, and what to expect during the journey.
Why Choose our Mykonos to Santorini Ferry Service?
- Diverse Ferry Options: Explore a variety of ferry choices tailored to your preferences, including conventional and high-speed catamaran options.
- Easy Booking Process: Navigate through our user-friendly website to check ferry schedules, compare prices, and secure your tickets effortlessly. Our platform ensures a smooth booking experience, allowing you to focus on the excitement of your upcoming Greek adventure.
- Real-time Updates: Stay informed with real-time departures and arrivals for the Mykonos to Santorini route. We understand the importance of up-to-date information to enhance your travel experience.
- Flexible Departures: Whether you're planning a day trip or an extended island-hopping itinerary, our ferry schedules cater to different travel plans. Choose the departure time that suits your schedule.
How to get from Mykonos to Santorini (Thira) with a ferry?
Getting from Mykonos to Santorini by ferry is a popular and convenient option for many travelers. Here are the steps you can follow to make this journey:
- Check the ferry schedules and prices: You can do this by checking our website to see which ferry companies operate between Mykonos and Santorini
- Purchase your tickets: Once you have identified the ferry that suits your schedule and budget, you can purchase your tickets online. It's best to book your tickets in advance, especially during peak season (June-August)
- Arrive at the port early: Arrive at the port at least one hour before the scheduled departure time to ensure enough time to check in, pass security and find your ferry
- Board the ferry: When it's time to board, follow the instructions of the ferry staff and find your seat or cabin. Most ferries have both indoor and outdoor seating areas, as well as cafes and snack bars
- Enjoy the journey: The journey from Mykonos to Santorini takes between 2 to 5 hours depending on the type of ferry you choose. Use this time to relax, take in the views, or catch up on some reading
- Arrive at Santorini: Once you arrive at the port in Santorini, disembark from the ferry and collect your luggage
From Mykonos to Santorini by ferry is the best option you have and it can be a very nice and exciting experience and especially if you are doing some island-hopping too.
There is a choice of Conventional and High-speed catamaran ferries running non-stop from Mykonos to Santorini or with small stops along the way.
How long is the ferry from Santorini to Mykonos (Thira)?
The duration of the ferry journey from Santorini to Mykonos can vary depending on the type of ferry and the specific route taken. On average, the ferry ride takes between 2 to 5 hours. The time it takes can be influenced by factors such as the type of ferry (conventional or high-speed catamaran), the weather conditions, and the specific ferry company operating the route.
Here are some general guidelines for the duration of the ferry journey:
- Conventional Ferries: These are typically larger and slower than high-speed ferries. The journey on conventional ferries from Santorini to Mykonos can take around 4 to 5 hours.
- High-Speed Catamarans: These faster vessels are designed for quicker travel. The journey on high-speed catamarans can take approximately 2 to 3 hours.
It's important to check the schedule and duration with the specific ferry company you choose, as different operators may have varying departure times and travel times. Additionally, ferry schedules and durations can be influenced by the season, with more frequent departures during the high season (summer) and fewer during the low season.
On go-ferry.com, we always let you know which ferry operator is the fastest when you compare tickets.
Why is it better to travel by ferry from Santorini to Mykonos?
Traveling by ferry from Santorini to Mykonos offers several advantages, making it a preferred choice for many travelers. Here are some reasons why it can be better to take a ferry:
- Scenic Views: The ferry journey between Santorini and Mykonos provides stunning panoramic views of the Aegean Sea. The chance to enjoy the open sea and witness the beauty of the Greek islands can make the trip itself a memorable experience.
- Island-Hopping Experience: If you enjoy exploring multiple destinations and relish the charm of different islands, taking a ferry allows you to indulge in the island-hopping experience. You may have the opportunity to see other nearby islands during the journey.
- Flexibility and Comfort: Ferries typically offer more space to move around compared to airplanes. Passengers can enjoy indoor and outdoor seating, cafes, and other amenities, making the journey more comfortable. There's also greater flexibility with luggage.
- Cost-Effectiveness: In some cases, ferry tickets can be more budget-friendly than flights. Travelers looking to save on transportation costs may find that taking a ferry is a more economical option.
- Lack of Airport Hassles: Ferry terminals are often less crowded and involve fewer security and check-in procedures compared to airports. This can save time and reduce stress associated with air travel.
- Convenience in Port Locations: Ferry terminals in Santorini and Mykonos are typically centrally located, making it convenient for travelers to access both the port and their accommodations. This can contribute to a smoother overall travel experience.
- Flexibility in Schedules: Ferries often have multiple departure times throughout the day, providing travelers with greater flexibility in choosing a schedule that suits their plans. This flexibility can be especially valuable for those with variable itineraries.
- Experience the Sea Breeze: The ferry journey allows passengers to feel the sea breeze and enjoy the ocean air, adding to the overall travel experience. This sense of openness is something that air travel may lack.
- Authentic Greek Experience: Traveling by ferry aligns with the authentic Greek island experience. It provides a connection to the maritime culture and the historical significance of sea travel in the region.
Ultimately, the decision to travel by ferry from Santorini to Mykonos depends on personal preferences, the travel experience you seek, and your individual itinerary. While flying may be faster, taking a ferry offers a more leisurely and scenic approach to island-hopping in the Aegean.
Ferry Schedules from Mykonos to Santorini
If you are planning a trip to Greece and want to travel from Mykonos to Santorini by ferry, you may be wondering about the ferry schedules. Fortunately, there are several ferry companies that operate between these two popular Greek islands, making it easy to find a schedule that fits your travel plans.
The ferry schedules from Mykonos to Santorini can vary depending on the time of year, with more frequent departures during the high season (June to September) and fewer departures during the low season (October to May). However, even during the low season, there are still several ferry options available.
One of the most popular ferry companies that operates between Mykonos and Santorini is SeaJets. They offer several daily departures during the high season, with the first ferry leaving Mykonos at around 7:30am and the last ferry departing at around 7:30pm. During the low season, SeaJets still offers several departures per week, but the schedule is more limited.
Another popular ferry company that operates between Mykonos and Santorini is Golden Star Ferries. They offer several daily departures during the high season, with the first ferry leaving Mykonos at around 9:00am and the last ferry departing at around 7:00pm. During the low season, Golden Star Ferries still offers several departures per week, but again, the schedule is more limited.
Other ferry companies that operate between Mykonos and Santorini include Hellenic Seaways, Minoan Lines, and Aegean Speed Lines. Each company has its own schedule and pricing, so it's worth checking all of them to find the best option for your travel plans.
When booking your ferry tickets from Mykonos to Santorini, it's important to keep in mind that schedules can change due to weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances.
Overall, traveling from Mykonos to Santorini by ferry is a convenient and enjoyable way to experience these two beautiful Greek islands. With several ferry companies and schedules to choose from, you're sure to find a schedule that fits your travel plans.
Some indicative examples of ferry schedules have as follows
- Dep. at 09:40 and arr. in 3 hours to Santorini
- At 10:00 from Mykonos, at 12:00 in Santorini
- Going at 12:45 from Mykonos, arrive at 16:30 in Santorini (Regular cheap ferry)
- Depart 13:45 and arrive in Santorini in 2 hours and 15 min. (at 16:00)
- From Mykonos at 14:45, in Santorini at 17:30
- At 15:20 from Mykonos, at 18:10 in Santorini
Note: Timetables were accurate when they were published, but can change without notice.
Give a date and click on "search" to view the updated timetables for the ferry from Mykonos to Santorini!
Notice: Each year and depending on the period, there may be more or fewer connections to Santorini. The biggest shipping companies (ferry operators) announce the new ferry schedules by the end of December and the rest of them by January-March each year!