If you're planning a trip to Greece, you might be wondering how to take the ferry from Santorini to Athens. Fortunately, there are several ferry schedules available that can make your journey easy and enjoyable.
How to get from Santorini to Athens by ferry
To travel from Santorini to Athens by ferry, you can follow these steps:
1. Check the Ferry Schedules: Before your journey, check the ferry schedules online for the most up-to-date information. Ferry schedules can vary depending on the time of year, so it's essential to have the latest information.
2. Choose a Ferry Operator: There are several ferry operators that provide services between Santorini and Athens (Piraeus port). Some popular operators include Blue Star Ferries, Hellenic Seaways, and SeaJets. Visit their websites or contact their customer service to check the available options and make a booking.
3. Decide on the Ferry Type: Ferries can vary in terms of speed and comfort. High-speed ferries (e.g., catamarans) are faster but usually more expensive than regular ferries. Consider your budget and preferences when choosing the type of ferry.
4. Book your Tickets: Once you have selected the ferry operator and type, book your tickets in advance. During the high season, ferries can be crowded, so it's advisable to secure your tickets beforehand. You can often book tickets online through our website's booking platform.
5. Arrive at the Port: On the day of departure, arrive at the Santorini port (usually Athinios Port) at least 1-2 hours before your scheduled departure time. This will allow you ample time for check-in and boarding.
6. Board the Ferry: Follow the instructions provided by the ferry operator and proceed to board the ferry. Show your tickets or booking confirmation to the staff as required. They will guide you to the designated seating area or cabin.
7. Enjoy the Journey: Sit back, relax, and enjoy the ferry ride from Santorini to Athens. The journey duration can vary depending on the type of ferry you choose. Regular ferries usually take around 5-8 hours, while high-speed ferries can complete the journey in about 4-5 hours.
8. Arrive in Athens: Once you reach the Piraeus port in Athens, disembark the ferry, and collect your belongings. From there, you can proceed to your next destination in Athens or explore the city.
It's important to note that ferry schedules and prices are subject to change, so it's always a good idea to double-check the information closer to your travel date.
There is a choice of Conventional and High-speed ferries running non-stop from Santorini to Athens or with small stops along the way.
Which are the ferry schedules available for traveling from Santorini to Athens?
1. Blue Star Ferries operates a daily ferry service from Santorini to Athens. The ferry departs from Santorini at 3:50 pm and arrives in Athens at 9:25 pm. This is a conventional ferry with basic amenities such as seating, restrooms, and a snack bar.
2. Sea Jets operates a high-speed ferry service from Santorini to Athens. The ferry departs from Santorini at 11:30 am and arrives in Athens at 4:30 pm. This ferry offers more amenities such as comfortable seating, air conditioning and food and drink service.
3. Hellenic Seaways operates a high-speed ferry service from Santorini to Athens. The ferry departs from Santorini at 11:20 am and arrives in Athens at 4:15 pm. This ferry offers similar amenities to Sea Jets such as comfortable seating, air conditioning, and food and drink service.
4. Aegeon Pelagos operates a conventional ferry service from Santorini to Athens. The ferry departs from Santorini at 7:30 am and arrives in Athens at 3:00 pm. This is a budget-friendly option with basic amenities such as seating, restrooms, and a snack bar.
It's important to note that ferry schedules can change depending on the time of year and weather conditions.
In conclusion, traveling from Santorini to Athens by ferry is a convenient and enjoyable way to see the beautiful Greek islands. Whether you choose a high-speed or conventional ferry, there are plenty of options available to suit your budget and travel style. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the stunning views of the Aegean Sea on your journey from Santorini to Athens.
Note: Timetables were accurate when they were published, but can change without notice.
Give a date and click on "search" to view the updated timetables for the ferry from Santorini to Athens!
Notice: Each year and depending on the period, there may be more or fewer connections to Athens. The biggest shipping companies (ferry operators) announce the new ferry schedules by the end of December and the rest of them by January-March each year!
Transportation services on Santorini
Useful suggestions and tips for ground services and public transportation options by departing Santorini and how to get to the departure port of Athinios.
The ports of Santorini
Santorini has 4 seaports that serve not only ferries and cruise ships but also yachts and fishing boats.
- The ferry port Athinios where all regular and high-speed ferries depart from Santorini.
- The old port Skala is built below Fira where the cruise ships put anchor daily.
- The Amoudi bay which is situated below the village of Oia is a genuine small fishing port with lovely local eateries right by the sea. From Amoudi there are small boats that sail to the island of Thirassia. Also, some boat tours start and end there.
- Vlychada port is next to the beach of Vlychada where small fishing boats and yachts put anchor. Many boat tours start and end here too.
Public Transportation from Athinios port
- Buses to the port leave Fira City station about an hour before the scheduled departures of the ferries leaving Santorini.
- The bus ticket from Fira to Athinios port cost approx. 2.30 Euros per way.
- For night routes from 00:30 to 05:00 the cost is approx. 2.90 Euros.
Public Bus Services on Santorini
- There is a frequent public bus network service that runs to all the villages of the island departing and ending in Fira Town.
- Travelers coming from Oia need to change bus in Fira‘s main bus station.
- The tickets can be purchased by the bus collector, and the price can vary from 1.80 to 2.50 Euros per person and per route.
The main station in Fira
Taxis on Santorini
- In Fira city, there is a taxi station, where the cabs are waiting to drive you to Athinios port!
- All taxis are gray and have a lit ‘taxi’ sign on top.
- Taxis can sit up to 4 passengers although they might not be able to take that many suitcases.
- Cabs in Santorini apply extra charges for excess baggage, port picks up and night transfers.
- Taxis will take you to most places on the island.
- With just a phone call you can be picked up from any point of the island.
Main locations for taxis in Santorini
- Fira’s taxi stand is on Dekigala just around the corner from the bus station
- Athinios port
- Taxi and Radio-Taxi number: +30 2286022555, +30 6906794316
- E-mail: [email protected], DETAILS
- Prices: From Athinios port to Fira Town approx. 12-15 Euros
Tip: Most of the hotels in Santorini have their own minibus and will pick you up from the port to the hotel or vice versa. Try ringing them to find out if this service is available!
Note: All the above information about Santorini was accurate when published but can be changed without notice.
Options by arriving at the Athenian ports
Athens has 3 modern ports to serve the large volume of passengers that arriving from any Aegean island like Santorini.
In these pages, we have mapped the most common options for easy transportation from the Athenian ports to Athens City as well as to the Athens airport.
Timetables on the Ferry Santorini to Athens
With go-ferry.com you are able to connect online with the reservation systems of the most Greek shipping companies that are sailing from Santorini to Athens, to compare prices, to find information about routes and vessels, to look for alternative routes and to print instantly your prepaid ferry ticket.
Ferry timetables may change by season, so take an optical canvassing via our search engine to receive the latest cull of dates, timetables & availability on the ferry from Santorini to Athens. With so many accommodation options to cull from, you can be sure to find the best ferry deal at a price that fit your budget.
Give a date and click on "search" to compare the prices of all ferry companies that run from Santorini to Athens!
Book in advance your ticket
Arrange your ferry ticket in advance
It is very important that you have organized your ferry from Santorini to Athens in advance, having arranged all the details. You don't want anything to go wrong, and you can achieve perfect holidays with a great organization. In addition to hotel accommodation and air-tickets, when you book the boat ticket you know that everything is under control even before leaving home.
There are many reasons why you should arrange to book in advance your ticket from Santorini to Athens. Here are some of the most important:
Pay for Hotel in Athens without using it!
During the high season in Greece, and especially in July and August, it is likely that you won't find ferry tickets to popular routes, such as the Ferry Santorini to Athens if you don't book them in advance. So, don't make the mistake to book your hotel in Santorini or Athens without having booked the ferry pass. The last thing you want is to get to the port and not find available tickets to your destination!
Although we charge a commission for acquiring ferry tickets from Santorini to Athens, this allows you not only to secure your tickets but also to save time; besides receiving a service and attention of first.
Have a bigger choice of Ferry Tickets!
Buying in advance gives you a better chance of getting the Santorini to Athens ferry ticket, on the vessel you prefer and at the schedule you wish. It does not make sense that your ferry travel is interrupted by not finding available tickets, but it is possible.
Find more Santorini to Athens ferry routes!
If you want to organize your ferry journey to Athens, it is wise to check all the possible routes and timelines in order to make the right combinations as well as between the air and the ferry tickets. Online, you can have an overview of all the routes going from Santorini to Athens by ferry.
Get the best deal!
Ferry tickets from Santorini to Athens can be expensive, so it’s natural to want to get the best deal on them. It is a common practice to be announced special rates and deep discounts for booking tickets up to 3-6 months in advance.
Feeling Great having your ferry ticket in your pocket!
You will feel a great feeling having the confirmation in your hands. The reservation with us will allow you to secure your tickets from Santorini to Athens; you will be relieved to have the confirmation in your hands or in your smartphone!