Ferry from Athens to Santorini
HOW TO GET FROM ATHENS TO SANTORINI BY FERRY
The ferry is the best choice for the route Athens-Santorini and especially if the ferry stops in the intermediate Cycladic islands to pick up / drop off passengers. Most permanent residents of the Greek islands who travel frequently to or from Athens prefer the ferry over the airplane because of the convenience and flexibility it offers!
There is a selection of conventional and high-speed ferries that run with or without short stops along the way. When traveling on a large regular ferry, you have the advantage of having many types of accommodation to choose from, while you also have many amenities on board. High speeds provide less to their hosts in exchange for a much shorter journey time!
How to get from Athens to Santorini by Ferry
If you arrive at Athens International Airport or stay in Athens, you can start your journey from the port of Piraeus or Rafina.
- From the port of Piraeus (40 km from the airport and 10 km from the city center), there are more frequent departures with conventional and high-speed ferries, throughout the day.
- From the port of Rafina, which is only 20 km away from the airport and about 30 km from the city center, only high-speed ferries depart to Santorini but the duration of the trip is shorter.
Departing from the port of Piraeus
- More departure options
- Options of regular and high-speed ferries
- Most popular
- Close to Athens city center
- Easy to reach
- Very good transport network (buses, metro, tram, taxi)
- Cheaper public transport tickets
- 40 km away from Athens airport
- There is usually a lot of traffic from the city center to the port and therefore you should expect more time for your arrival in Piraeus
- The port has 12 gates and you have to walk long enough to find your own boarding gate
- A longer journey to Santorini
Departing from Rafina port
- Shorter travel time
- Close to Athens airport (20 km)
- A small port with 1 departure gate
- Is a great choice if you want to get from the airport directly to a ferry port without having to go via the city center of Athens
- Few departure options
- High-speed Ferries only
- Few accommodation options
- Few transport options from Athens to the port
- Far from Athens city center (30 km)
SCHEDULE & TIMETABLE
With go-Ferry.com you are able to connect online with the reservation systems of most Greek shipping companies compare prices, find information about routes and vessels, look for alternative routes and print instantly your ticket for the ferry Athens-Santorini.
Schedule and Timetable from Athens to Santorini
- Leave Athens at 07:00 and arrive in Santorini in 4 hrs and 45 min.
- Daily from Athens at 07:15, 07:25, 07:55
- Afternoon departure from Athens at 15:45 and 17:30
Note: Timetables were accurate when they were published, but can change without notice.
Give a DATE and click on "Show Timetable" to view the updated timetables!
Notice: Each year and depending on the period, there may be more or fewer connections from Athens to Santorini. The biggest shipping companies (ferry operators) announce the new ferry schedules by the end of December and the rest of them by January-March each year!
Useful tips for ground services and public transport options by arriving in Santorini from Athens by ferry.
Which port in Santorini
Santorini with 4 seaports serves not only ferry vessels but also cruise ships, yachts, and fishing boats.
- In the southwestern part of the island, is the port of Athinios where all conventional and high-speed ferries arrive from Athens and other destinations
- In the old port of Skala which is located near Fira (capital of the island), cruise ships from most Mediterranean ports anchor
- In the traditional port of Amoudi, tourist boats start their journey to the island of Thirasia
- The port of Vlychada, in the southernmost point of Santorini, is anchored by yachts and small fishing boats. Also some tourist excursions by boat start and end here.
Bus transport service from Athinios port
- The public buses that start from the port of Athinios (the main port of the arrival ferry Athens to Santorini route) going to the city of Fira, have a direct response with most of the ships that arrive on the island. Although most go to the main station of Fira, some make intermediate stops in the villages of Pyrgos, Karterados, and Messaria
- Those travelers heading from Athinios port to Oia will need to change the bus at the central station of Fira
- The schedules are posted outside the central bus station of Fira and at most of the main stations
- The ticket from the port of Athinios to Fira costs about 2.50 euros. Night departures (from 00:30 to 05:00) are more expensive and the ticket costs about 3,00-3,50 euros
Transportation Services in Santorini
- The public transport of Santorini is quite good. There are frequent departures by bus to all the villages of the island. The departure and arrival of the cycle route, is the capital of the island, Fira
- Tickets are purchased by the bus driver. Price ranges from 2.00 to 3.50 euros per person and per route
The main station in Fira
- 25 Martiou str. and Danezi M. str., near Alpha bank
- Tel.: +30 2286025404
- UPDATED BUS SCHEDULES
Taxi in Santorini
- Santorini taxis are gray in color and have a "taxi" sign at the top
- Taxis can carry up to 4 people although not all passengers' suitcases may fit if they are large and bulky
- Taxis in Santorini charge an extra fee for luggage, pick-up from ports, and overnight transportation
- Taxis can be rented for any route on the island
- The main starting point of taxis is located in the central square of Fira
- It is possible to call the taxi by phone and it will pick you up from where you are and take you to the desired destination
Main Taxi locations in Santorini
- Fira Central Taxi Station is located in Dekigala Square, very close to the bus station.
In the port of Athinios
- At the airport
Taxi and radio taxi number: +30 2286022555, +30 6906794316
- E-mail: [email protected]
- ONLINE TRANSPORT SERVICES
- Prices: From Athinios port to Fira Town approx. 15,00-20,00 Euros
Tip: If you already have a reservation in a hotel in Santorini, try to contact them for your transfer from the port of Athinios. Most hotels have their own minibusses and usually take you free or at a very low cost!
Note: All the above information about Santorini was accurate when published but can be changed without notice.
BOOK YOUR TICKET EARLY ENOUGH
Usually, you don't need to book in advance if you are traveling out of season or too unpopular destinations. However, when you are going to travel on the days of Orthodox Easter, the Holy Spirit, Greek national holidays, in June, July, August, or September, then it would be wise to make a reservation at least a few months in advance.
Sometimes the ferries can be so full that it makes it really difficult to find an available ferry from Athens to Santorini and much more if it is a return ticket. Many travelers have had bad experiences with adventures due to the inability to find an available ferry ticket!
If you do not like this kind of hassle, please read why you need to book your ferry from Athens to Santorini early enough, on the next page.
FERRY ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS
Everything you need to know about ferry types and accommodation options; reserve the ideal accommodation option for your ride from Athens to Santorini and get fresh and relaxed at your destination! Comfortable armchairs, business class comfort seats, or economy deck chairs. There is a range of accommodation options to choose from for a day or night crossing to your destination.