Mykonos, the Greek island known for its stunning beaches and vibrant nightlife, is a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. While many visitors fly directly into Mykonos, others prefer to take the ferry from Athens to Mykonos.
How to get from Mykonos to Athens by ferry
In the following lines, we have prepared a small user guide that will help passengers to travel as easily and pleasantly as possible.
Find useful information on how to get from Mykonos to Athens by ferry, local public transportation options to reach your overnight hotel, port addresses and embarkation offices, ferry schedules and prices, and real-time departures and arrivals for the ferry Mykonos to Athens.
Step 1: Choose Your Ferry Company
There are several ferry companies that operate between Mykonos and Athens, including Blue Star Ferries, Hellenic Seaways, and Sea Jets. Each company has its own schedule and ticket prices, so it's worth comparing them through our booking system to find the best option for your travel dates and budget.
Step 2: Book Your Ferry Tickets
Once you've chosen your ferry company, you can book your tickets online throough our website. We recommend booking your tickets in advance, especially if you're traveling during peak season (June-August).
Step 3: Arrive at the ferry port in Mykonos
On the day of your departure, make sure to arrive at the ferry port in Mykonos at least 30 minutes before your scheduled departure time. This will give you enough time to check in and board the ferry.
Step 4: Board the ferry
When it's time to board the ferry, follow the signs and instructions from the ferry crew. You'll need to show your ticket and any necessary identification before boarding.
Step 5: Enjoy the ferry ride
The ferry ride from Mykonos to Athens takes approximately 5-6 hours, depending on the ferry company and route. During the ride, you'll have plenty of time to relax and take in the stunning views of the Aegean Sea.
Step 6: Arrive at the ferry port in Athens
Once you arrive at the ferry port in Athens, follow the signs to exit the port and find transportation to your final destination. You can take a taxi, bus, or metro to reach your hotel or other destination in Athens.
In conclusion, taking a ferry from Mykonos to Athens is a convenient and enjoyable way to travel between the two destinations. Just be sure to choose your ferry company and book your tickets in advance, arrive at the ferry port on time, and enjoy the ride!
Ferry Schedules Mykonos to Athens
- Dep. at 07:35 and arr. in 4 hours and 35 min. to Athens/Rafina port (Regular ferry)
- At 10:40 from Mykonos, at 13:35 in Athens/Rafina port
- From Mykonos at 11:55, in Athens/Rafina port 14:10
- Depart 12:25 and arrive in Athens in 3 hours
- Dep. at 14:15 and arr. in 5 hours and 30 min. to Athens (Regular ferry)
- At 14:50 from Mykonos, at 17:20 in Athens
- Going at 15:30 from Mykonos, arrive at 17:40 in Athens
- Depart 15:15 and arrive in Athens in 2 hours and 50 min. (at 18:05)
- From Mykonos at 18:45, in Athens/Rafina port at 21:20
- At 19:35 from Mykonos, at 23:55 in Athens (Regular ferry)
- Dep. at 22:30 and arr. in 4 hours to Athens/Rafina port (Regular ferry)
Note: Timetables were accurate when they were published, but can change without notice.
Give a date and click on "search" to view the updated timetables for the ferry from Mykonos to Athens!
Notice: Each year and depending on the period, there may be more or fewer connections to Athens. The biggest shipping companies (ferry operators) announce the new ferry schedules by the end of December and the rest of them by January-March each year!
Transportation services on Mykonos
Useful suggestions on how to reach the port of Mykonos with tips for ground services and public transportation options.
The ports of Mykonos
- Mykonos has 2 seaports that serve not only ferries and cruise ships but also yachts and fishing boats
- The old port in Chora serves small boats
- The NEW port is in TOURLOS and about 1.5 km from the town (Chora)
- The harbor in Tourlos consist of main cruise boat quay, and quay for the regular and speedboats
- All ferry operators dock and depart from this harbor
Public Bus Service on Mykonos
- Mykonos has a good bus network service that connects the most villages and beaches with Chora/City
- During the tourist season (April to October) there is a frequent public bus service from Mykonos Town (Fabrika Sq. station) to the new port in Tourlos and back
- From Agios Stefanos to Tourlos New Port
- From Elia beach, Platis Yalos, Ornos, Ai Yannis, Paradise beach, Paranga beach and Airport to the Fabrika station in Mykonos city
- From Kalafati, Elia beach, Kalo Livadi beach and Ano Mera village to the Old Port station in Mykonos city
- From Agios Stefanos and Tourlos to the NEW port in Tourlos
Bus Terminals and contacts
- The main station in Mykonos Town (Fabrika): Fabrika sq. (Axioti str.), Tel. +30 2289023360, +30 2289026797
- Old Port station in Mykonos city (Polikandrioti str.; Behind the archaeological museum & Remezzo, north part of Town and next to OTE building)), Tel. +30 2289023360, +30 2289026797
- Old Town Port (very close to SeaBus station, north part of Town)
Taxis in Mykonos
- There are about 35 taxis, which mean you need great patience until you find one! You have to wait in line and sometimes you can wait for hours in the taxi queue and especially in the evening!
Main locations for taxis in Mykonos Town
- Manto Square (also called Town Square or Taxi Square), on the harbor front near the statue
- Fabrika square (Axioti str.)
Taxi Contact phone numbers
- Taxi and radio-taxi Tel.: +30 2289023700 & +30 2289022400
- Radio taxi service in late hours and out of town (add 5 Euro for this service)
- Approx. Price: From Chora/City to the new port approx. 12-15 Euros
- Mykonos SeaBus is the faster transportation service between the Old Port (Chora) of Mykonos Town and the New Port (Tourlos) and the and vice versa.
- The SeaBus runs every 30 minutes
- Luggage and Baby Strollers are carried on board
- Easy Wheelchair access
- New Port in Tourlos (Marina station)
- Old Town Port (near Bus station with access to Panormos, Ano Mera, Elia, Kalafatis, Super Paradise, and Paradise beach)
- Old City Port (near Old Town Hall)
- Duration from New Port to Old Port or vice versa: 8 minutes
- Price per person: 2 Euros
- Tel.: +30 6978830355
Tip: Most of the hotels in Mykonos have their own minibus and will transfer you from the hotel to the port or vice versa. Try ringing them to find out if this service is available!
Note: All the above information about Mykonos was accurate when published but can be changed without notice.
What to do by arriving at the port of Athens
Athens has 3 modern ports to serve the large volume of passengers that arriving from the Aegean islands.
In the following pages, we have mapped the most common options for easy transportation from the Athenian ports to Athens city center, as well as to Athens airport.
Schedules, prices and availability
Mykonos Athens Ferry Schedules
Ferry schedules can vary depending on the time of year, so it's important to check the most up-to-date information before booking your trip. Generally speaking, there are several ferries per day that depart from both Athens and Mykonos.
During the high season, which runs from June to September, there are more frequent departures, with some companies offering up to four or five ferries per day. During the low season, which runs from November to March, there are fewer departures, with some companies only offering one or two ferries per day.
There are several routes that ferry companies take when traveling from Athens to Mykonos. Some ferries make stops at other islands along the way, while others offer direct service between the two destinations.
The most common route is from Athens' port of Piraeus to Mykonos' new port. This route is offered by all of the major ferry companies and takes approximately 2.5 to 5 hours depending on the type of ferry you choose.
Another option is to take a ferry from Rafina, a port located about 30 kilometers east of Athens. This route is less popular than the Piraeus route but can be more convenient for travelers staying in the eastern suburbs of Athens. The journey takes approximately 2.5 to 4 hours.
Ferry timetables may change by season, so take an optical canvassing via our search engine to receive the latest cull of dates, schedules, prices and availability from Mykonos to Athens by ferry. With so many accommodation options to cull from, you can be sure to find the best ferry deal at a price that fit your budget.
Give a date and click on "search" to compare the prices of all ferry companies that run from Mykonos to Athens!
Book in advance your Mykonos to Athens ferry ticket
Arrange your ferry ticket in advance
It is very important that you have organized your ferry from Mykonos to Athens in advance, having arranged all the details. You don't want anything to go wrong, and you can achieve perfect holidays with a great organization. In addition to hotel accommodation and air-tickets, when you book the boat ticket you know that everything is under control even before leaving home.
There are many reasons why you should arrange to book in advance your Mykonos to Athens ferry ticket. Here are some of the most important:
Pay for Hotel in Athens without using it!
During the high season in Greece, and especially in July and August, it is likely that you won't find ferry tickets to popular routes, such as the Ferry Mykonos to Athens if you don't book them in advance. So, don't make the mistake to book your hotel in Mykonos or Athens without having booked the ferry pass. The last thing you want is to get to the port and not find available tickets to your destination!
Although we charge a commission for acquiring ferry tickets from Mykonos to Athens, this allows you not only to secure your tickets but also to save time; besides receiving a service and attention of first.
Have a bigger choice of Ferry Tickets!
Buying in advance gives you a better chance of getting the Mykonos to Athens ferry ticket, on the vessel you prefer and at the schedule you wish. It does not make sense that your ferry travel is interrupted by not finding available tickets, but it is possible.
Find more Mykonos to Athens ferry routes!
If you want to organize your ferry journey to Athens, it is wise to check all the possible routes and timelines in order to make the right combinations as well as between the air and the ferry tickets. Online, you can have an overview of all the routes going from Mykonos to Athens by ferry.
Get the best deal!
Ferry tickets from Mykonos to Athens can be expensive, so it’s natural to want to get the best deal on them. It is a common practice to be announced special rates and deep discounts for booking tickets up to 3-6 months in advance.
Feeling Great having your ferry ticket in your pocket!
You will feel a great feeling having the confirmation in your hands. The reservation with us will allow you to secure your tickets from Mykonos to Athens; you will be relieved to have the confirmation in your hands or in your smartphone!
Accommodation options on the ferry from Mykonos to Athens
Everything you need to know about ferry types and accommodation options; reserve the ideal accommodation option on the ferry from Mykonos to Athens and get fresh and relaxed at your destination! Comfortable armchairs, business class comfort seats or economy deck chairs. There is a range of accommodation options to choose for a day crossing to your destination.